How to link NIN to MTN in 2023: I believe you are here to read about how you can link NIN to your MTN line.
In December 2020, the Nigeria Government made it a requirement that all the users of the network service provider (MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, 9MOBILE OR ETISALAT) must link their National Identity Numbers (NIN) to their line before they can be given access to use the line for security reasons. So, if you are here to know how you can do that, you are on the right page!
I know some are here because they are looking for how to link NIN to their MTN line after being blocked. Do not worry, everything you need to know will be covered in this post. TECHSPIKE.COM.NG got you covered.
Some of the things that will be covered in this post are;
- How to link NIN to MTN line
- How to link NIN to MTN Sim
- How to link NIN to MTN after being blocked
- How to link NIN to MTN online
- How to link NIN to MTN code
- How to link NIN to MTN through SMS
- How to link NIN to MTN number
- How do I know if my NIN is activated
- And many more!
So, stay with me while I break this down for you!
- How to migrate to MTN pulse for Free and Benefits
- How to check BVN on MTN
- How to Borrow Data from MTN
- How to transfer airtime from MTN to Glo
- How to migrate to Xtravalue on MTN
- 5 Best Airtel Data Plans for Students
- How to buy Data on MTN
- How to migrate to MTN Yafun Yafun
- How to migrate from MTN Pulse to Beta Talk
I will advise you not to skip any part of this article as every part of this article is essential for you to know if you want to link your NIN to your MTN line and get your sim unblocked.
One more thing! Before I go to how you can link your NIN to MTN line, let me quickly take you through how you can register for NIN.
How to Register for NIN in 2023
Okay, here I am going to take you through quick but thorough steps on how you can register for NIN in 2023;
For those who are yet to register for their NIN, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centers or your preferred network provider centers to register your National Identification Number.
Here’s a quick guide to registering for NIN:
- Fill up the NIMC pre-enrolment form online by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal, and download and print Pre Enrolment Slip.
- Submit your application at the nearest NIMC Registration Centre.
- NIN issuance.
Now that how to register for NIN is sorted, let’s move on to how to link it with MTN number.
Quick note: At the end of this post are a few frequently asked questions with short but concise answers that can even give you more insight on this topic!
How to Link NIN to MTN Sim 2023
How can I link my NIN to my MTN line? Here comes the big question!!!
Here, I am going to give you four methods on how you can do this, so stay with me and follow through with the following methods I’m about to share with you!
The following are the four ways to link NIN to your Line even after your line has been blocked;
- Via MTN NIN portal
- Using MTN App
- Through USSD code (shortcode)
- Via NIMC App
Now, let’s take it one after the other!
How to Link NIN to MTN Via MTN NIN Portal
To use this method, simply follow the following steps;
- Visit MTN online NIN portal
- Fill in your First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (optional), Phone Number, National Identification Number, and Email Number.
- Then “submit”.
Simple right? Okay, to the next method!
How to Link NIN to MTN Using MTN App
This method is also simple and fast but it requires you to have an Android phone and data. To use this method, kindly for the following guidelines;
- Visit the Google Play Store
- Download the myMTN app on your Google Play Store or ignore it if you already have the app on your mobile phone.
- Kindly log in on your app using your phone number and click proceed to submit your NIN details (MTN number, Notification email, and your National Identification Number).
- Then click submit.
Now on to the third method!
How to Link NIN to MTN through USSD Code (shortcode)
I believe this is the easiest method as it doesn’t require you to have a browsing phone and data. All you need is a phone even if it is the phone people refer to as tannasobe or palasa or ayeloyun (smile). All you need to do is get a phone and as I said, any phone and follow the following simple steps;
- The Code to link your NIN to your MTN SIM is *785# and it works with only the MTN line and no other network service provider!
- Even if you have different phone numbers, you will link them to your NIN by dialing *785#, then follow the directive that follows by inputting your NIN and submitting.
- If you already have your NIN, then dial *785*NIN# from the phone number you wish to link your NIN to.
Note that if you get an error message, it might be a network problem! So, just wait for a few seconds and retry!
Do you see?? Very simple and easy!! Now, to the last on the list!
How to Link NIN to MTN Via NIMC App
Is this the method you want or you are still facing a problem even after you tested the three methods up there? Either way, do not worry! This method is also a sure and tested method to link NIN to MTN line!
NIMC has launched an app that should enable you to link up to seven numbers to an NIN. To access the NIMC Mobile App, download ‘MWS: NIMC MobileID’ (available for iOS and Androids).
Follow these simple steps to link your NIN to your MTN line using NIMC App;
- Download the ‘MWS: NIMC MobileID’ application on the Google Play Store for Android devices or the Apple Store for iOS devices.
- Launch the application and insert your NIN and phone number. An OTP is sent to your phone number for verification (OTP is valid for 30 minutes).
- Once that’s out of the way, you’ll be required to create a 6-digit password/PIN. You will always need that 6-digit PIN to sign in to your NIMC mobile app dashboard.
- On your dashboard, select the LINK MY NUMBERS option to add and validate your MTN line. You can add up to 7 mobile numbers using this application and an OTP is required to verify all numbers added.
Okay, friend! Those are the ways you can link your NIN to your MTN SIM! Now, below are some Frequently asked questions about this particular topic explained in this post.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I Retrieve NIN on MTN?
If you have registered already but you have forgotten your NIN, You can get your NIN from your mobile number used during registration by dialing *346#, following the directive by pressing 1, and a one-time notification will pop up showing your NIN.
Note; #20 will not be deducted if you have not registered or you’re using an unregistered sim.
How To Retrieve My NIN Slip
What if I had lost my NIN Slip? Here is another big question that has a very simple solution!! Do not panic!
In case of a misplaced NIN slip, you can get another one at any of the NIMC enrollment centers (ECRs) by providing your payment teller after paying a sum of #500 through REMITA. They will issue a new one with the same national identity number (NIN) and previously provided details.
How can I Change my Name on NIN Slip
This is serious but it is solvable!! So, don’t despair!
You will surely need to visit any of the NIMC centers, as they will need different details (like an affidavit from the court) depending on the error you wish to amend. The NIMC official will surely guide you through.
How do I submit my NIN to MTN?
This is something we’ve explained above! The four methods, remember??
Anyways, simply dial *785*NIN# from the phone number you wish to link your NIN to.
What is the MTN code for NIN?
The MTN code for NIN is *785#.
Why is my NIN not linking to my number?
This could be for several reasons such as incomplete NIN registration, computer error during integration by NIMC, mismatch of data on NIN registration, and data of SIM card registration. If you ruled all these out, it is possible that you linked more than 7 SIM cards to 1 NIN. Check very well and correct the mistake, then retry!
How do I know if my NIN has been validated?
- Visit the official NIN Verification Portal via https://nimc.gov.ng/verification-service-api/
- Scroll to “Verify NIN” and click on it
- Enter your 12-digit NIN number into the required column
- After entering your NIN number, type the security code into the required column
- Click on “Submit”
- A message will be displayed notifying you whether your NIN is verified or not.
- If your NIN has not been verified, visit the nearest NIMC office with your NIN number and get it verified.
How do I check my MTN NIN status?
To check your NIN status, try to link it up to your SIM card as we have explained in this post above. If the process comes out successful, then your NIN has been verified by NIMC.
How many months will NIN be validated?
It usually takes between 1-5 working days for your NIN to be ready after registration.
Does NIN number expire?
The National Identification Number (NIN) doesn’t have an expiry date.
Can NIN be done twice?
Enrolment for the NIN is Once in a Lifetime
Once you enrol and your National Identification Number (NIN) is presented to you, the Automated Biometric Information System (ABIS) will store all your information supplied and any attempt to enrol again by the same person will be detected and this a punishable offence.
How many hours does it take NIN to be validated?
The normal time frame for issuance of a National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
Why is MTN saying my NIN is invalid?
During your NIN enrolment or registration, you’ll be asked to provide some details such as your BVN, name, and other demographics. If you input incorrect data and NIMC notices the incorrect information your NIN won’t be activated which means you won’t be able to use the NIN generated hence the invalid error message.
So, linking your NIN to your MTN line isn’t just important, it’s super easy too! It’s all about keeping your line active and staying on the right side of the law. We’ve walked through the steps, and as you can see, it’s as simple as sending a text or making a quick call.
Remember, your NIN is like your digital fingerprint. Linking it to your MTN line helps keep your identity safe and ensures you stay connected without any hiccups. It’s one of those little things that make a big difference.
Whether you choose to do it through USSD, SMS, or visiting a store, it’s all about what’s convenient for you. The important thing is to get it done. This way, you keep enjoying all the great services from MTN without any worry.
So, take a few minutes, follow the steps, and secure your connection. It’s one of those quick tasks that give you peace of mind. Stay safe, stay connected, and keep enjoying all the perks of being part of the MTN family!
With this article, I am confident that I have explained everything you need to know on how to link NIN to MTN line in 2023. Kindly leave us a comment if you have any other questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible!
My name is Tiamiyu Abdulbazeet Olawale, the CEO of TechSpike.com.ng. He is a graduate of Electrical and Electronics Engineering at the University of Ilorin.